Monday, January 11, 2016

One Word: Abide

You may have heard of this "One Word" craze going around. The idea is that you're supposed to choose one word that you want to be your focus for the year. Instead of having multiple resolutions, your word should be something you can meditate on throughout the year to inspire you to be the person you want to be. I know I just did a resolution post, but I really like this idea too! We had a staff meeting tonight at work and we were all invited to share what our "one word" is and why. My word is ABIDE.

I remember talking about the word μένω (menō), meaning to abide, in a Greek class I took in college and what it means to abide in Christ. When I was trying to come up with my word for the year, this word came to mind and I decided it was perfect!

To abide means to remain. To abide as a Christian means:

~to remain in Christ
~to be firm and immovable in my walk with God
~to live Christ-like

John 15:4-5 says "Abide in me, and I in you. As the branch cannot bear fruit by itself, unless it abides in the vine, neither can you, unless you abide in me. I am the vine; you are the branches. Whoever abides in me and I in him, he it is that bears much fruit, for apart from me you can do nothing."

It is only as I abide in Christ that I can bear fruit, meaning to grow in character as well as in my walk with Him. This year I really want to strive to abide in Christ through it all. For I know that if I abide in Him, all else will work out for good.

If any of you have one word you've chosen for the year, I would love for you to share!!!

One Word: Abide---Love, Wildflower

No comments:

Post a Comment