Sunday, January 3, 2016

goals for living

Goals For Living---Love, Wildflower

Well, it's that time of year again when we can't help but reflect; reflect on where we've been, who we are, and where we want to go. 2015 was a great year filled with family, friends, and beautiful memories. I can't believe how much God chooses to bless me each day. I'm incredibly thankful for all He has provided!

Along with seeing the blessings in my life, this time of reflection has also shown me areas in my life in which I need to grow. I know I'm not alone in this; there is always something we can work on improving! This past year has been a whirlwind of trying to figure out where I belong and what I want my life to look like.

One thing I know is that I want God to continue to be the center of all I am and all I do. Something I want to improve on this year is actively displaying God at work in my life. I want to start going to church more and seeking ways to serve Him and my brothers and sisters in Christ. I used to be very active in church and ministry, but recently I have struggled to make that a priority in my life. God deserves my entire heart and more of my attention, so I plan to take steps to make this a priority from now on.

The other thing I want to improve on is to be vulnerable in love. This quote from C.S. Lewis has been very dear to my heart over the years:

"To love at all is to be vulnerable. Love anything and your heart will be wrung and possibly broken. If you want to make sure of keeping it intact you must give it to no one, not even an animal. Wrap it carefully round with hobbies and little luxuries; avoid all entanglements. Lock it up safe in the casket or coffin of your selfishness. But in that casket, safe, dark, motionless, airless, it will change. It will not be broken; it will become unbreakable, irredeemable. To love is to be vulnerable."

I feel like this has described me for so long and I've been working and praying for God to change my heart back to what it once was. I don't want past heartache to rob me of loving like Christ. I need to have an open and loving heart if I ever hope to reach others for Christ.

So, these are my goals for 2016...and every day after! Serving God more and loving Him and others more. If those two things happen in my life, I know that everything else will fall into place and have the best outcome for His name's sake.

Oh, and let's not forget the totally realistic goals of eating no sugar, going to the gym every day, and reading twenty books a week! =) But really, I'd love to hear your goals for the new year and how we can encourage each other in reaching them!

No comments:

Post a Comment